I continued replacing the coop windows. I built a wooden frame around each window and then joined the two frames together. Thanks Dad for the table saw, I put it to good use :) Then I installed the windows, framing the space around the windows as these are smaller than the ones they are replacing. At this point, I'm feeling good about the project Things were really starting to come together, but the project started to derail when I installed the plywood.
I started working on replacing the coop windows today. The several panes were broken and covered with bits of packing tape. The new windows are a bit smaller (but they didn’t cost of a fortune, either), so it will take a bit of finagling. However, the new windows have tempered glass, so they should be more resistant to breakage. The first step was to rip all the old windows. I was surprised how quickly they came out.
I’ve been working on a pop door for the chicken coop. There is a main door that I use to enter and exit the coop. However, there is a small opening in the side that would allow the chickens to enter and exit the coop at will. However, I wanted a small door that allow me to shut the chickens in at night, and keep predators out. While there are many commercially available doors, I decided to make my own.
Today I wired the chicken coop, adding an electrical outlet. The coop transformation is coming along, but the weather is still a little brisk at night. A plug would allow me to move their chick heater outside, to keep them warm. I ran the wire into the coop and wired the electrical outlet. The cover will keep water, grime, and curious beaks out Then, I ran about 150 feet of wire to the barn which already has electricity.
When I bring the chicks back in from free-ranging outside, I have them inside a huge plastic tub. I cut a small door in the side, and when I open it, generally the chicks rush out. There are always a couple of stragglers, but with a little coaxing, they hop out and back into their crate. Yesterday, there was one small chick, significantly smaller than most of the others, that would not go back inside.
Today the crate that the chicks live in was getting really smelly and downright disgusting. Soooo Gross! So, I shoveled out all the old bedding Poor Lego Man, he fell in and has had a bad couple of days So much Poo! And I put down all fresh bedding. All clean! Now it’s ready for them to lay down a fresh layer of poo, lol.
Today I worked (you guessed it) out in the chicken coop. Now that the walls are clean, I wanted to stain and waterproof the inside. Hopefully this will help protect the wood from everything the chicks throw at it, and will deter any future wasps from taking up residence inside the coop. I was only able to complete about half the job before I ran out of stain, but here’s what I was able to get done:
Today my wife and I scrubbed the chicken coop. Yesterday I scrapped away the broken drywall and wasp nests with a crowbar. Today, we took buckets of water and scrubbed away all the dirt, grime, and nest remnants. A little elbow grease works wonders While I wouldn’t want to eat off of the surfaces, it’s starting to look good :)
To celebrate our anniversary, I’m taking the week off as a farm-cation (a mini vacation where you work on the farm). For the rest of the week, and next week if I have any time after work, I’m working on fixing up the chicken coop so that we can move the chicks out there. The coop has fallen in disrepair and needs some TLC before we can put our chicks in there.
The chickens are getting bigger and are rapidly outgrowing their current home (a large dog crate). Plus, they are really messy. Everything nearby is covered in a thin layer of dust, and poo is everywhere. I have changed countless dipers, but that is nothing compared to this I’m tired of scraping poo off their heater and the gentle aromas of poo wafting through the kitchen. It’s time that they get moved outside where we both have a bit more room to breathe.